Institute #3 helped colleges better enable students to explore career and college options, choose and successfully enter a pathway suited to their interest and aptitudes, and complete the pathway as effectively and efficiently as possible.
Sessions focused on:
- Integrating career and college exploration into the college intake experience to help students choose as soon as possible a pathway that fits their interests and aptitudes.
- Redesigning advising and integrating technology to support students in choosing a pathway and to monitor student progress through pathways.
- Providing frequent feedback and support as needed.
- Fundamentally rethinking developmental education by integrating accelerated and contextualized academic skill development within the college’s main areas of study/meta majors.
- Integrating field-appropriate academic and nonacademic supports into critical college-level gatekeeper courses in the college’s main areas of study.
- Identifying and addressing challenges involved in organizational redesign.
- Understanding the changing roles of faculty and advisors as colleges revamp their processes for student intake, advising, and monitoring of student progress through pathways.
Institute #3 Agenda (posted 4/5/2018)
Reading List (posted 4/5/2018)
Exercise: Flowcharting the Student Experience (posted 4/5/2018)
College teams use this exercise to develop a flowchart of the typical new-student experience at their institution. (American Association of Community Colleges)
iPass Readiness Assessment (posted 4/5/2018)
Survey on the Core Principles for Transforming Remediation (posted 4/5/2018)
Advising Redesign and Pathways Alignment (posted 4/5/2018)
Changing Our Mindsets (Stacey Johnson) (posted 4/5/2018)
Choice Architecture, Academic Foci, and Guided Pathways (Tristan Denley) (posted 4/5/2018)
Aligning Guided Pathways With Integrated Advising and Student Supports (Karen Stout and Mei-Yen Ireland) (posted 4/5/2018)
Table Activity for Core Principles of Developmental Education Presentation (posted 4/5/2018)
Readings and Resources
Tennessee Board of Regents Corequisite Study — Full Implementation 2015–2016 (posted 4/5/2018)
Tennessee Board of Regents Curricular Structure (posted 4/5/2018)
Tennessee Board of Regents Focus Study 2015–16 (posted 4/5/2018)